Monday, December 23, 2013

The End (of November (and Almost December))

Ahoy. No, I haven't joined any pirate club. That's how we Czechs say hello (not all of the time). No, Czech's are not pirates either. Well, most of them aren't. As far as I know, we have the reputation of pot-bellied beer sponges. Quite funny, since beer and my taste buds aren't exactly the best friends.

Putting lore aside... the end of December is almost here. My NaNoWriMo novel was finished long ago. Quite an experience. Well, it might have ended, but there's still a lot to do. Editing, revising... and new projects.

Again. I thought I'd add a new post sooner. But well, while I focused on NaNoWriMo, the things I stuffed inside wardrobes, cupboards, chests and other containers overflowed and flooded me. So I spent some nice time swimming to the surface.


Christmas
It's almost Christmas time. For those who celebrate Christmas, of course. I'm a bit more busy than I'd like to be around this time, but nothing to be done about it.

I hope you enjoy this time of the year. The gifts, the atmosphere. The snow... well, scratch that. We have no snow here in the Czech Republic. But the TV is filled with fairy tales. It's a habit here. And I think I'll keep up with the tradition. I have a three years old story sitting here. (I think I've moved on a bit since then. I don't like the fight parts, for instance.) A lengthy story with a twist, based on a specific Czech fairy tale.

It's called The Fairy Tale. I know. I'm very original.

It's about a prince who seeks to win over a princess. Even more original.

There's some dragon slaying. What would a fairy tale be without it? And the happy end?

Well, that's where the story really begins...

Nothing is as it seems and under the veil of a happy world dwells the realm of treachery and backstabbing.

I'll start posting it here soon. I hope to put one or two chapters per week here.


NaNoWriMo
How was your NaNoWriMo? Mine wasn't as terrific as I would have wished. My story is... I think it's mediocre to be honest. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to let it gather dust. There's a lot to learn, even from a story that doesn't live up to its expectations.

The specifics: cca 57000 words
Genre: starts as a mystery, ends as a fully blown dystopian sci-fi, spiced with hints of surreal horror
Plot: Ben Walsh is a refined DCI in a fictional county in the UK called Brigham where all is well and peaceful. Until a fateful day that turns the tide of history. Drifting from a serene countryside realm to a squalid dimension reeking of corruption and conspiracy, Ben discovers far more than he was supposed to and has to fight against those who wish to see him dead. Will he solve his grandest case and thwart the treacherous plot before the menacing avalanche of the collapsing civilization swallows the world whole?

Is anyone interesting in beta reading this tale? I'm willing to read yours in return. Although I don't really like my story, I'd like to hear what others have to say about it.


The Future
Well, since I've managed to post another stuff (a draft of it was gathering dust for a month already), I believe things will only get better.

I'm looking forward to Write1Sub1.
I'll be writing a lot of stories. And have that novel sitting here and I plan to do something with it. Probably write another while I'm at it.

Does anyone have any interesting plans?

PS: Why does blogger jumble my paragraph spacing?

No comments:

Post a Comment